10 Things a Vendor Might do to Prepare for a Big Event
No Non-cent Nanna’s Heart Felt Play Store is busy ( more like crazy) preparing for Colorado Springs annual Springs Spree, August 13 and 14.
This post will share some of my behind the scene photos of a 10+ things I’m doing to get all my fun stuff for kids made before the big event. I wonder what 500 other vendorsand entertainers are doing to get ready?
Have you ever gone a to big city event with lots of music, food, rides, fun stuff and vendors? Have you ever been a part of the big show?
- I enjoy city big city events and county fairs as a guest.
- I have also been a vendor at Iowa county fairs, my home state. I get so excited dreamng in my head: planning, budgeting; preparing…(Now I preapare for Colorado Springs,Colorado Springs Spree this coming august 13 and 14.)
About a month before every big event I have eveer done, I think to myself,
What was I thinking when I decided to do a big event, again! I must be crazy to do this again!
Well, Colorado Springs, Colorado is having it’s annual Springs Spree this coming August 13 and 14. M y Hert FElt Play Store will be one of 100’s of vendors. This big event is about a month away and now you know what I’m thinking. See above if you forgot Then , please enjoy a sneak peak of 10+things I’vebeen doing to get ready before the really big show!
Behind the scene at Heart Felt Play Store:
- Hire a professional logo designer. I need a real profesionally designed logo that shows something about my business. I can’t put it off any longer! I need to print a few thousand more business cards; fliers; well placed advertising pre-event….
2. Contact marketing specialist Shayna Wetzel about her Summer Tour with Swag Bags as pre-advertising for the Springs Spree. Parents, and grand parents need to know to look for Heart Felt Play Store where ever it is I’ll be a vendor at…oh yeah, I have an on-line store, too. Realistically, my store is not like the movie Field of Dreams. No one will look for my product if they don’t know it exists.
3. I had to figure out how to get the attention of people who have been getting Swag Bags from Shay No More Advertising with my little freebies in it. If I just drop in a busiess card it will problably never get looked at. If I could I would wear a chicken suit to get attention. But, I can’t fit into any swag bag I know of.
I had to use a temporary logo as I had not hired the professional designer, yet, at that time.
4. I made cute colorful flyers to put in SWAG BAGS and hand out at local events I was doing.
YIKES! That is a lot of ink and paper. Going to the local printer was much cheaper than doing at home….and so much cheaper if I did it in black and white instead of color.: like 45 cents a page cheaper.
I will have to plan ahead for fliyrs, eventually. MLM direct sellers have the advantage of the big office designing and making the catalogs and websites for them. I’m independant, so I actually enjoy the challenge.
5. Back track to December 2015. I paid my fee to be a vendor in Springs Spree. I got my Sales Tax vendor permit. I took a sale tax class. As a vendor I am responcible to be an agent of the city and state to collect sales taxes.
6. I ordered a 10 x 10 tent on credit.
OOPS! The $90 was only for a side tarp. I ordered the $300 commercial tent which I have not taken out of the box, yet. Then, I bought 2 more side tarps to help block the sun in the August heat. I iwl need topractie setting the tent up soon. Very soon.
7. I paid for event insurance. Yes, that is required at big events and a very good idea for all events.
8. I planned what I would craft. When I completed the craft I did paper work that included COST ANALYSIS. Then I fretted if parents would still think my prices were affordable. I dropped my $10/ wages to $6 an hour. Selling myself short, but is easier to figure in my head the wage cost per minute.
Hey, at least no employee is picketing me for $15 an hour. I’m my only employee!
9. I had to think of an eye catching theme or my Heart Felt Play Store tent will drown in a sea of other vendors.
Stand out in a crowd.
Sh-h-, don’t tell this the other vendors. Since I sell fun stuff for kids with many themes I decided to combine the pirate and under the sea theme I have for many of my dramatic play crafts.
FREE to potential customers I have 5 photo props like this one. (Child not included.)
10. How will I organize; tag and keep product clean in an out door tent?
That can be tough!
I mean, I tend to over whelm the senses! Then people see nothing especially when I have very small items. I purchased more and more plastic bags and made paper headers. (The cost of packaging can be potentialy more than the product, so, I want to do as cost effective as possible.)
Tagging takes up a lot of my time. I use Mini MOO business cards. I punch a hole in them then add the price tag to most items for double duty.
I bought dollar store yard sale stickers th would be easily seen.
No one wants to wait behind 20 people to learn the price of squishy dinosaurs, their kids are screaming to have for their very own, and go pee at the same time. Am I right?
.Really! That takes the fun ou tof selling kids stuff at an event with 70,000 hot and sweaty people. Vendors have to make it fun and easy for every one.
Note: Many product sold by Heart Felt Play Store are uniquely designed and hand crafted by Malika Bourne. Other product sold are manufactured then collected by theme. There are times when manufactured is more cost effective and less time cusuming.
….to be continued….I still have work to do….
YIKES! I still need to make my unique eye catching from a far banner that bears my store name…
End of post
Visit my on-line store catalog on Shopify: