Update out of Denver on Healthcare Bill: BETRAYAL!
I hope you care about that healthcare bill in question as much as I do. Any bill that influences access to healthcare is a significant concern for ALL Americans whether you need Medicaid today or not.
Below I quote an email out of Denver from Julie Reiskin that I recieved today. I added bullet points for easier reading. I have permission to quote and encourage everyone to share.
I know that Colorado has no reserve funds for its most medically needy. I am not up to date on the reserve funds in other states. I highly suggest everyone stay up to date on what their Senators are doing in regards to this healthcare change.
FIRST –SENATOR GARDNER BETRAYED US and we will be protesting tomorrow at this offices. Not only did Senator Gardner vote for the bill that would have gutted Medicaid –the original house bill (thankfully the bill died and they are moving on to other bad ideas) but then he refused to vote for an amendment by Senator Casey to protect people with disabilities.
- He had told us that he was concerned about Medicaid being sustainable and felt the program should be protected for people with disabilities that really need it. Clearly, that was a lie because when offered the chance to do just that–protect Medicaid for people with disabilities he refused.
- As a result there will be an ADAPT action tomorrow at 1:00 PM a some of the local offices, including the Denver Office 1125 17th Street.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE WILLING OR ABLE TO GET ARRESTED to attend.
- You just have to mad as hell that we have been betrayed by a Senator that said he cared about us and our issues.
He said this when running for office.https://youtu.be/QONkblk3_uw CCDC is fully supportive of this action (as we have been of all of the ADAPT actions).
- Speaking of the amendment by Senator Casey he gave an incredible speech today honoring the ADA–you can see it here Link to the speech here:https://www.facebook.com/
- The Bazelon Center put out this alert explaining what happened and what will happen next:
- Yesterday, July 25, the Senate passed, by a single tie-breaking vote by the Vice President, a procedural motion to debate their various healthcare repeal bills. Both Senators Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska voted against this motion.
- The Senate is now in the midst of many hours of debate-they have already voted down versions of both the BCRA and ORRA (discussed in our last alert) and will continue for the rest of today and tomorrow to vote on many different Amendments.
- Eventually, they will vote on a final bill, but it is not clear what the final bill will look like.
It may be the House bill, the American Health Care Act (AHCA); a new version of the BCRA; or it may be a bill currently referred to as “Skinny Repeal” or the “Trojan Horse” bill, which would repeal parts of the Affordable Care Act.
- This bill would be taken up by a “Conference Committee” with representatives from both chambers, which would then create a bill reconciling the bills passed by the House and the Senate, likely with parts from each.
- Even if what the Senate passes does not contain Medicaid cuts, those cuts would be on the table in the conference committee process.
- All of the bills currently under discussion: Drastically cut Medicaid. Repeal crucially important parts of the Affordable Care Act.
- Cause millions of Americans to lose health insurance.
- Undermine important protections, like essential health benefits and meaningful coverage for people with mental illnesses and other pre-existing conditions.
No matter which bill is eventually put forth for the final vote, the outcome will be the same. All versions are unacceptable, and we urge all senators to vote NO on all these bills.
Call your Senator: 202-224-3121 Call Majority Leader McConnell: 202-224-254
Keep it up with facebook and twitter #SaveMedicaid #KilltheBill
The SATURDAY rally is also still on–10 am at City Park