I know some folks would rather do things themselves to get things done quickly to avoid a kids making a mess. But, if you always do everything, when will they learn?
If that is in your thinking, please allow me to give you 6 good reasons why kids need to learn how to “cook” , “clean”, “sew” , yard work at an early age.
So what if they gets frosting all over?
So what if a child spills milk?
Simply hand them a cleaning cloth for them to clean up the mess all by themselves. (If you need to go back later to finish the clean-up that is OK.)
- When kids are under foot in the kitchen you know where they are and what they are doing.
- You can demonstrate and supervise safe usage of your household tools.
- Teaches MATH concepts like: counting; more/ less; measuring amounts etc
- Teaches science basics: liquid, solid, gas; hot and cold: chemical changes; order in a process.
- Encourages children to try new things. It is a fact when kids help cut up fruits and vegetables they are more willing to make the choice to taste a new food.
- Prepares our children for eventual independence with confidence.
Apply the 6 points above to cleaning, laundry and mending.
I am Malika Bourne the No Non-cents Nanna saying, “Let give kids a chance to make good choices.”
Now it’s your turn:
What other chores can a child learn to do at an early age?