I stayed up past my bedtime last night writing my thoughts on shoplifting. I am ready to move on to the subject of all the fires and explosions in all kinds of factories rationally.
I still had goals to meet before noon. As I did each 10-minute task, I thought about writing about planning ahead – mini steps in my own Prepper Journey. I
I’m not the smartest tool in the shed, but I do know that knowledge is power, and fear of the unknown can be debilitating. I am concerned when I see, hear, and read people panicking over the news about factories blowing up. How many people feel overwhelmed – not knowing what to do when a toxic accident happens in their neighborhood?
One thing I can do for people doing a search on the internet is to pull together examples of different kinds of fires and explosions; the typical causes; having a relevant disaster plan of action. Every town and city has to have a plan of action based on the potential for the worst-case scenario might occur.
The word Prepper can trigger an All-or-None cognitive distortion of a sense of overwhelming impending doom in our heads with science from a Disaster Movie depicting a Hollywood version of The End of the World – Armageddon.
Note: I am not suggesting we are definitely living in the “end times”.at all – why? I simply don’t know for fact even with the patterns in current events. I am saying to plan ahead for the worst-case scenarios while hoping for the best without being consumed with panic and fear. It is the wise thing to do. Besides, the purpose of this post is not a Bible study.
Straight away as I made my son’s morning coffee he was coincidentally playing Patric Humphrey’s Youtube video titled:
Officials: “SHELTER in PLACE” -Massive EXPLOSION -Raining TOXIC Chemicals | Patrick Humphrey.
I live near a pipeline substation that has blown a few decades back across the field from where I lived with my children. My sister who lived in another state saw the news feed – she freaked. At home, I was cool, calm, and collected helping the manager of the complex we lived at. As a team, we knew what to do to alert neighbors to evacuate. Then we stayed to watch for looters. We could take off upon the alert from the fire marshal that we had 5 minutes to get to safety.
Also in the small city where my family lives, there is a well-known company that produces cleaning and hygiene products. Upon occasion, an alarm will alert that a pipe is leaking chlorine. Most college residents in our area have no idea how serious a major leak would be.
Anyway, when the evacuation was ordered day cares literally tossed babies and kids in vans and hightailed it to a preplanned location. The directors and school principals know what the plan of action is to evacuate schools.
That is why schools have Fire Drills.
[Do you have any emergency plans in place? Yep, I am asking you.]
Remember, to do nothing to prepare for emergencies is a choice, too.
To view Patrick Humphrey’s 1/14/2023 video please copy then paste it into the search bar of Youtube. If I made the title clickable the video would show up on this page. I don’t have permission to post his video.
Grain Dust is Highly Explosive.
So, why should people care?..uh…because animals and humans eat grains. Those grains have to be stored after picking until it is processed into a form we chose to eat. Then it is packaged in an eye-appealing package.
www.ready.gov/explosions is An official website of the United States government
- Disasters and Emergencies
- Ready Kids What will your family do if disaster strikes? Make a plan today.
- Make a Plan
- FEMA Online Ordering Site
- Emergency Plan for Families or (PDF)
- Emergency Plan for Kids or (PDF)
- Emergency Plan for Commuters (PDF)
- Pet Owners (PDF)
- Safeguard Documents and Valuables (PDF)
- Emergency Financial First Aid Kit (PDF)
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Disaster Checklist (PDF)
- Make a Plan (Video)
Last Updated: 11/17/2022 on Secure Official Government Site.(Look for the little lock at www.ready.gov/explosions
Disclaimer: Malika Bourne the No Non-cents Nanna is NOT an expert on chemical spills or factory explosions. Consider all No Non-cents Nanna’s blog posts as blogs for entertainment and inspiration to do your own research. This content should not be considered to be or replace sound medical advice. What you choose to do after reading this page you agree to do so at your own risk. Please be aware that content providers on social media should be posting a disclaimer and let you know when they are expressing their own opinions/ interpretations vs official/ resources.
Do you know how to tell you are opening an official US government website…
…as opposed to just a blogger’s page, like this blog page that I hope you get some positive benefit from?
Or are you opening a website designed to scam you? There are plenty of fake expert pages on the internet.
I promise you that when I share links with you or resources, I have researched carefully before writing anything online. I have presented my research in good faith but may become out date. If I am wrong I hope you contact me so I may make corrections.
7 items to Add to Your Prepper List for Chemical Plant Fires/ Explosions
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- White vinegar.
- Duct tape
- Plastic sheeting
- Old sheets, blankets, towels
This list is incomplete. This list is intended only to get people, you started thinking about what you may already have at home.
How common are chemical plant explosions and fires?
Is this a conspiracy?
Oh please. I’m not going there. For those who need to participate in the over-dramatic, ‘I know a secret you don’t know’, dysfunctional mindset the following will be so boring for you.
The statements I quote are based on facts about why the accident happened based on chemical reactions or worn-out pipes that someone neglected for whatever reason.
If there are some mysterious entities with nefarious intentions who took advantage of sloppy work habits when they sneak into the building…
- This post won’t waste our time on this blog with evil intentions that most of us have no control over.
What are normal people supposed to do if we don’t regurgitate the secret the mysterious ‘they’ don’t want us to know?
- People reading conspiracy theories don’t have any control over evil villains.
- Keep Calm and Carry on unless you are the superhero out to single handily save the entire universe.
- A Conspiracy theory may be correct. So what is your job as a member of the community in a particular situation? Focus on your lists of tasks for your job.
Note: This post is NOT inferring that Patrick Humphrey’s videos are spreading ‘doom and gloom or fear to sheeple’. He is rational and focused on what folks may need to do to survive. I really like his calm demeanor as he shares current events which happen to be examples of good reasons why many people focus on Preparedness.
- I CAN control my nefarious fictional characters Who Done It in my next THRILLER novel: A World Disconnected.
- People CAN follow through with preventative maintenance thus saving the entire town before an accident happens. The people can go about their lives without living in fear.
- I’m trying to focus on preparing solutions for potential emergencies.
- Then I CAN move on with confidence that I will know what to do and where my supplies are and how to use my preps to help others in the community should an event occurs.
Accidents happen. People make errors. People forget or neglect to follow through with reading and following directions and protocols.
Can we get a grip on the dysfunctional All or None and Everyone is out to get me kind of thinking for a few minutes? What would happen if we looked at “Just the facts, Ma’m.”
– Chemical plant explosions and fires are more common than most of us care to think about.
It is my No Non-cents Nanna Theory based on the fact that we will see more crises in plants burning down due to aging equipment and a lax maintenance routine that may be related to current staffing shortages or the older Baby Boomer employees who have retired.
- Every year industrial chemical manufacturers put their own employees and individuals in surrounding communities in harm’s way by not safely and properly running their chemical plants.
Arnold and Itkin are Trial Atorneys who specialize in recovery money to care for the injured in these kinds of preventable accidents. Please click on their webiste to read this enlighten article.
Read this article quoted below.
I edited this report down, without expressed permission. I do not believe that I altered the most relevant words. Please click the link to read the report in its entirety crediting the source of this information.
- Henderson, Nevada Rocket Fuel Plant … explosion… registered 3.5 on the Richter scale… felt 600 miles away. … welders … ignited existing drums of ammonium percolate,(rocket fuel). …many sealed bins, some stacked on top of others… area the size of a football field. …explosion …chain reaction…
- Geismar Plant Explosion, Louisiana (July, 2013) Cause: … a fire and explosion …preliminary findings report …suggesting the incident was the result of a vapor cloud which formed after a re-boiler ruptured. … ignited within seconds by an unknown heat or flame source.
- Diaper Manufacturing Facility, Japan Cause: In September 2012, a chemical plant in …The cause of the fire was an abnormal chemical reaction when firefighters trying to put out a relatively small fire in an acrylic acid tank used water instead of a chemical mixture that would have put the fire out
- Chevron Oil Explosion – Richmond, California (August, 2013) Cause: … an old pipe, more than 30 years old… began leaking …two hours before it was discovered….worked quickly to remove the insulation unit …while the pipe was still processing crude oil. … a spark and explosion … Huge plumes of burning chemicals filled the air … 15,000 local residents … inhalation of smoke and breathing problems.
Ongoing chemical plant explosions are devastating and point to the need for improved design and upgrading of facilities that use flammable substances.
The U.S. Chemical Safety Board (USCS) has completed investigations into scores of accidents like these 5 chemical plant explosions, suggesting that the use of smarter technology, already available, will help plants avoid adverse events in future.
But that’s not all: advanced technology is well and good, but if people don’t follow basic chemical regulations and safety standards disasters will continue unabated.
The quote above will not prove or disprove any one person’s Conspiracy Theory about the next fire and explosion that will disrupt our American way of life, I think though, people need to understand that it costs money to update old buildings and equipment.
What does the cost of building a new factory mean to the American consumer?
- It means that prices will be higher than we are accustomed to paying for the goods and services we want.
- When Americans don’t get what we want when we want it a the price point we demand – we ‘beach’ about “how greedy the owners are.”
- As we complain about how we poor people in America are being abused by greedy Silicon Valley or Big Pharma, it is my opinion that we want to blame someone for our own dissatisfaction. It is a heck of a lot more entertaining to blame something we cannot control rather than to focus on what we CAN do.
We CAN demand high safety standards in the industry in order to protect the workers employed and the community where the manufacturing plants are located. We CAN demand safe products to use. WE CAN take responsibility to use and dispose of those items wisely.
That is why some of us Americans Prepare for the worst-case scenarios while being grateful for the quality of life we have been accustomed to enjoying as we hope for the continued best years to come.
Mar 29, 2022 · The explosion and fire at the Lubrizol -owned Chemtool lubricants production plant in Rockton, IL on June 14 was the most newsworthy incident of the year. A local official told The Associated Press (AP) that about 1,000 people were evacuated during the incident. One firefighter received minor injuries.
Nov 7, 2022 · Chemical plant fire and possibility of explosions prompt evacuations in Georgia The fire started at about 4 a.m. Monday at the plant outside the port city of Brunswick, sending a large…
2 days ago · Multiple explosions and a massive fire were reported at the Carus Chemical plant in La Salle, IL Wednesday morning. Large clouds of smoke were reported after the explosion and fire,
It is time to call it a day, dear diary. Tomorrow I will write you more about community/ family preparedness featuring another of my favorite Youtube content creators.